Friday, January 18, 2013

Reading Response 2

Of the three readings for this week I found the Rubin article on Jerusalem the most informative.  It seemed like a very unbiased representation of the past history this city.  It surprised me to learn just how many times Jerusalem has actually changed hands constantly being overrun by different leaders with very different cultures and beliefs.  It makes sense that there is so much turmoil nowadays over the city many different people consider sacred. It is amazing to me just how much of the city's history is able to be uncovered.

I also really enjoyed the Khalidi article.  Though it was more a one-sided perspective I liked how he brought up the fact that people will believe want they want to and what they have learned through their faiths over historical facts.  I thought he put this fact nicely that people will believe legends or myths that were born out of tradition simply because it's what they have always done.

No comments:

Post a Comment