Monday, February 4, 2013

Reading Response 6

So far I liked this part if Armstongs book, chapters 11-13 the best.  Of the three religions Islam is the one I haven't really ever studied or learned anything about, so it was neat to hear about its origns and funny to think how their highest prophet Muhammad warned and taught them to respect the other monotheistic religions, especially Judaism, since they all worshiped the same God and how in some respects this has gone completely by the way side.  One thing that confused me was the belief that no location was holier than any other, however since the time of Muhammad Muslims were taught to pray facing Jerusalem and then Mecca.  Also the notion that Mecca in the center of the world where the gates of heaven stand above is a contradiction to this belief.  I also really liked how she explained how the three religions started to claim superiority and really began to split farther.

1 comment:

  1. I too had never been exposed to the religion of Islam. Armstrong did a good job of providing useful information as well as insight into the background of the Islamic people. Armstrong was able to clear up some negative associations I had about the Islamic culture, and even earned my respect for them.

    ReplyDelete